As enterprise applications become larger and more distributed, new architectural approaches like reactive designs, microservices, and event streams are required knowledge. The Vert.x framework provides a mature, rock-solid toolkit for building reactive applications using Java, Kotlin, or Scala. Vert.x in Action teaches you to build responsive, resilient, and scalable JVM applications with Vert.x using well-established reactive design patterns.
About the technology
Vert.x is a collection of libraries for the Java virtual machine that simplify event-based and asynchronous programming. Vert.x applications handle tedious tasks like asynchronous communication, concurrent work, message and data persistence, plus they’re easy to scale, modify, and maintain. Backed by the Eclipse Foundation and used by Red Hat and others, this toolkit supports code in a variety of languages.
About the book
Vert.x in Action teaches you how to build production-quality reactive applications in Java. This book covers core Vert.x concepts, as well as the fundamentals of asynchronous and reactive programming. Learn to develop microservices by using Vert.x tools for database communications, persistent messaging, and test app resiliency. The patterns and techniques included here transfer to reactive technologies and frameworks beyond Vert.x.
Building reactive services
Responding to external service failures
Vert.x toolkit architecture and Vert.x testing
Deploying with Docker and Kubernetes
1. Vert.x, asynchronous programming, and reactive systems
2. Verticles: The basic processing units of Vert.x
3. Event bus: The backbone of a Vert.x application
4. Asynchronous data and event streams
5. Beyond callbacks
6. Beyond the event bus
PART 2 DEVELOPING REACTIVE SERVICES WITH VERT.X
7. Designing a reactive application
8. The web stack
9. Messaging and event streaming with Vert.x
10. Persistent state management with databases
11. End-to-end real-time reactive event processing
12. Toward responsiveness with load and chaos testing
13. Final notes: Container-native Vert.x