- eBook:Nine Algorithms That Changed the Future: The Ingenious Ideas That Drive Today's Computers
- Author:John MacCormick
- Data:September 15, 2020
- Pages:232 pages
Every day, we use our computers to perform remarkable feats. A simple web search picks out a handful of relevant needles from the world's biggest haystack. Uploading a photo to Facebook transmits millions of pieces of information over numerous error-prone network links, yet somehow a perfect copy of the photo arrives intact. Without even knowing it, we use public-key cryptography to transmit secret information like credit card numbers, and we use digital signatures to verify the identity of the websites we visit. How do our computers perform these tasks with such ease? John MacCormick answers this question in language anyone can understand, using vivid examples to explain the fundamental tricks behind nine computer algorithms that power our PCs, tablets, and smartphones.
2. Search Engine Indexing: Finding Needles in the World’s Biggest Haystack
3. PageRank: The Technology That Launched Google
4. Public Key Cryptography: Sending Secrets on a Postcard
5. Error-Correcting Codes: Mistakes That Fix Themselves
6. Pattern Recognition: Learning from Experience
7. Data Compression: Something for Nothing
8. Databases: The Quest for Consistency
9. Digital Signatures: Who Really Wrote This Software?
10. What Is Computable?
11. Conclusion: More Genius at Your Fingertips?
Download Nine Algorithms That Changed the Future: The Ingenious Ideas That Drive Today's Computers PDF or ePUB format free