This book is divided into four main parts:
- Fundamental Concepts: introduction and study of the main concepts and theorems that are necessary to understand more complex topics, such as safety & liveness properties, consistency & failure models, the CAP theorem etc.
- Distributed Transactions & Consensus: introduction of the problem of distributed transactions and consensus and available solutions, such as two-phase commit, Paxos, Raft etc.
- Time & Order: a deep dive into the concepts of time and order, their role in a distributed systems and relevant techniques to handle them, such as lamport clocks and vector clocks.
- From theory to practice: an examination of how theory presented in previous sections can be used in practice, by looking at case studies of real-life distributed systems, practices and patterns used across the industry
2. Basic concepts and theorems
II - Distributed Transactions & Consensus
3. Distributed Transactions
III - Time & Order
IV - From theory to practice
7. Case studies
8. Practices & Patterns
9. Closing thoughts