- eBook:Serverless Design Patterns and Best Practices: Build, secure, and deploy enterprise ready serverless applications with AWS to improve developer productivity
- Author:Brian Zambrano
- Data:April 12, 2018
- Pages:260 pages
- Format:PDF, ePUB
- Learn the details of popular software patterns and how they are applied to serverless applications
- Understand key concepts and components in serverless designs
- Walk away with a thorough understanding of architecting serverless applications
Book DescriptionServerless applications handle many problems that developers face when running systems and servers. The serverless pay-per-invocation model can also result in drastic cost savings, contributing to its popularity. While it's simple to create a basic serverless application, it's critical to structure your software correctly to ensure it continues to succeed as it grows. Serverless Design Patterns and Best Practices presents patterns that can be adapted to run in a serverless environment. You will learn how to develop applications that are scalable, fault tolerant, and well-tested.
The book begins with an introduction to the different design pattern categories available for serverless applications. You will learn the trade-offs between GraphQL and REST and how they fare regarding overall application design in a serverless ecosystem. The book will also show you how to migrate an existing API to a serverless backend using AWS API Gateway. You will learn how to build event-driven applications using queuing and streaming systems, such as AWS Simple Queuing Service (SQS) and AWS Kinesis. Patterns for data-intensive serverless application are also explained, including the lambda architecture and MapReduce.
This book will equip you with the knowledge and skills you need to develop scalable and resilient serverless applications confidently.
What you will learn
- Comprehend the popular design patterns currently being used with serverless architectures
- Understand the various design options and corresponding implementations for serverless web application APIs
- Learn multiple patterns for data-intensive serverless systems and pipelines, including MapReduce and Lambda Architecture
- Learn how to leverage hosted databases, queues, streams, storage services, and notification services
- Understand error handling and system monitoring in a serverless architecture a serverless architecture
- Learn how to set up a serverless application for continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment
Who This Book Is ForIf you're a software architect, engineer, or someone who wants to build serverless applications, which are non-trivial in complexity and scope, then this book is for you. Basic knowledge of programming and serverless computing concepts are assumed.
Chapter 2: A Three-Tier Web Application Using REST
Chapter 3: A Three-Tier Web Application Pattern with GraphQL
Chapter 4: Integrating Legacy APIs with the Proxy Pattern
Chapter 5: Scaling Out with the Fan-Out Pattern
Chapter 6: Asynchronous Processing with the Messaging Pattern
Chapter 7: Data Processing Using the Lambda Pattern
Chapter 8: The MapReduce Pattern
Chapter 9: Deployment and CI/CD Patterns
Chapter 10: Error Handling and Best Practices