- eBook:Unreal Engine 4 Virtual Reality Projects: Build immersive, real-world VR applications using UE4, C++, and Unreal Blueprints
- Author:Kevin Mack, Robert Ruud
- Data:April 30, 2019
- Pages:632 pages
- Format:PDF, ePUB
- Learn about effective VR design and develop virtual reality games and applications for every VR platform
- Build essential features for VR such as player locomotion and interaction, 3D user interfaces, and 360 media players
- Learn about multiplayer networking and how to extend the engine using plugins and asset packs
Book DescriptionUnreal Engine 4 (UE4) is a powerful tool for developing VR games and applications. With its visual scripting language, Blueprint, and built-in support for all major VR headsets, it's a perfect tool for designers, artists, and engineers to realize their visions in VR.
This book will guide you step-by-step through a series of projects that teach essential concepts and techniques for VR development in UE4. You will begin by learning how to think about (and design for) VR and then proceed to set up a development environment. A series of practical projects follows, taking you through essential VR concepts. Through these exercises, you'll learn how to set up UE4 projects that run effectively in VR, how to build player locomotion schemes, and how to use hand controllers to interact with the world. You'll then move on to create user interfaces in 3D space, use the editor's VR mode to build environments directly in VR, and profile/optimize worlds you've built. Finally, you'll explore more advanced topics, such as displaying stereo media in VR, networking in Unreal, and using plugins to extend the engine.
Throughout, this book focuses on creating a deeper understanding of why the relevant tools and techniques work as they do, so you can use the techniques and concepts learned here as a springboard for further learning and exploration in VR.
What you will learn
- Understand design principles and concepts for building VR applications
- Set up your development environment with Unreal Blueprints and C++
- Create a player character with several locomotion schemes
- Evaluate and solve performance problems in VR to maintain high frame rates
- Display mono and stereo videos in VR
- Extend Unreal Engine's capabilities using various plugins
Who this book is forThis book is for anyone interested in learning to develop Virtual Reality games and applications using UE4. Developers new to UE4 will benefit from hands-on projects that guide readers through clearly-explained steps, while both new and experienced developers will learn crucial principles and techniques for VR development in UE4.
Chapter 2: Setting Up Your Development Environment
Chapter 3: Hello World - Your First VR Project
Chapter 4: Getting Around the Virtual World
Chapter 5: Interacting with the Virtual World - Part I
Chapter 6: Interacting with the Virtual World - Part II
Chapter 7: Creating User Interfaces in VR
Chapter 8: Building the World and Optimizing for VR
Chapter 9: Displaying Media in VR
Chapter 10: Creating a Multiplayer Experience in VR
Chapter 11: Taking VR Further - Extending Unreal Engine
Chapter 12: Where to Go from Here