Parameter Estimation and Inverse Problems, 2e introduces readers to both Classical and Bayesian approaches to linear and nonlinear problems with particular attention paid to computational, mathematical, and statistical issues related to their application to geophysical problems. The textbook includes Appendices covering essential linear algebra, statistics, and notation in the context of the subject. A companion website features computational examples (including all examples contained in the textbook) and useful subroutines using MATLAB.
- Includes appendices for review of needed concepts in linear, statistics, and vector calculus.
- Companion website contains comprehensive MATLAB code for all examples, which readers can reproduce, experiment with, and modify.
- Online instructor's guide helps professors teach, customize exercises, and select homework problems
- Accessible to students and professionals without a highly specialized mathematical background.
2. Linear Regression
3. Rank Deficiency and Ill-Conditioning
4. Tikhonov Regularization
5. Discretizing Problems Using Basis Functions
6. Iterative Methods
7. Additional Regularization Techniques
8. Fourier Techniques
9. Nonlinear Regression
10. Nonlinear Inverse Problems
11. Bayesian Methods