PHP and MongoDB Web Development Beginner's Guide
Computers & Technology
ISBN: 1849513627Format: PDFEdition: -Date: November 25, 2011Pages: 292 pagesLanguage: English
Download PHP and MongoDB Web Development Beginner's Guide
Download .PDF eBook
Combine the power of PHP and MongoDB to build dynamic web 2.0 applications
- Learn to build PHP-powered dynamic web applications using MongoDB as the data backend
- Handle user sessions, store real-time site analytics, build location-aware web apps, and much more, all using MongoDB and PHP
- Full of step-by-step instructions and practical examples, along with challenges to test and improve your knowledge
With the rise of Web 2.0, the need for a highly scalable database, capable of storing diverse user-generated content is increasing. MongoDB, an open-source, non-relational database has stepped up to meet this demand and is being used in some of the most popular websites in the world. MongoDB is one of the NoSQL databases which is gaining popularity for developing PHP Web 2.0 applications.
PHP and MongoDB Web Development Beginner's Guide is a fast-paced, hands-on guide to get started with web application development using PHP and MongoDB. The book follows a "Code first, explain later" approach, using practical examples in PHP to demonstrate unique features of MongoDB. It does not overwhelm you with information (or starve you of it), but gives you enough to get a solid practical grasp on the concepts.
The book starts by introducing the underlying concepts of MongoDB. Each chapter contains practical examples in PHP that teache specific features of the database.
The book teaches you to build a blogging application, handle user sessions and authentication, and perform aggregation with MapReduce. You will learn unique MongoDB features and solve interesting problems like real-time analytics, location-aware web apps etc. You will be guided to use MongoDB alongside MySQL to build a diverse data back-end.
With its concise coverage of concepts and numerous practical examples, PHP and MongoDB Web Development Beginner's Guide is the right choice for the PHP developer to get started with learning MongoDB.
What you will learn from this book
- Get MongoDB up and running on the machine (Windows/Mac/Linux)
- Build a PHP-powered website with MongoDB as the data storage
- Handle HTTP sessions with MongoDB
- Store website analytics data in real time
- Process large datasets with MapReduce
- Use MongoDB to supplement your existing relational database - build data archives, cache tiers, store results of expensive SQL queries in MongoDB
- Build location-aware web applications
- Optimize MongoDB for better performance and security
The book follows a "Code first, explain later" approach, using practical examples in PHP to demonstrate unique features of MongoDB. This book is packed with step-by-step instructions and practical examples, along with challenges to test and improve your knowledge.
Who this book is written for
This book assumes that you are experienced in web application development using PHP, HTML, and CSS. Having working knowledge of using a relational database system such as MySQL will help you grasp some of the concepts quicker, but it is not strictly mandatory. No prior knowledge of MongoDB is required.
Chapter 2: Building your First MongoDB Powered Web App
Chapter 3: Building a Session Manager
Chapter 4: Aggregation Queries
Chapter 5: Web Analytics using MongoDB
Chapter 6: Using MongoDB with Relational Databases
Chapter 7: Handling Large Files with GridFS
Chapter 8: Building Location-aware Web Applications with MongoDB and PHP
Chapter 9: Improving Security and Performance
Chapter 10: Easy MongoDB Administration with RockMongo and phpMoAdmin