- eBook:Hands-On Network Forensics: Investigate network attacks and find evidence using common network forensic tools
- Author:Nipun Jaswal
- Data:March 30, 2019
- Pages:358 pages
- Format:PDF, ePUB
- Investigate network threats with ease
- Practice forensics tasks such as intrusion detection, network analysis, and scanning
- Learn forensics investigation at the network level
Book DescriptionNetwork forensics is a subset of digital forensics that deals with network attacks and their investigation. In the era of network attacks and malware threat, it's now more important than ever to have skills to investigate network attacks and vulnerabilities.
Hands-On Network Forensics starts with the core concepts within network forensics, including coding, networking, forensics tools, and methodologies for forensic investigations. You'll then explore the tools used for network forensics, followed by understanding how to apply those tools to a PCAP file and write the accompanying report. In addition to this, you will understand how statistical flow analysis, network enumeration, tunneling and encryption, and malware detection can be used to investigate your network. Towards the end of this book, you will discover how network correlation works and how to bring all the information from different types of network devices together.
By the end of this book, you will have gained hands-on experience of performing forensics analysis tasks.
What you will learn
- Discover and interpret encrypted traffic
- Learn about various protocols
- Understand the malware language over wire
- Gain insights into the most widely used malware
- Correlate data collected from attacks
- Develop tools and custom scripts for network forensics automation
Who this book is forThe book targets incident responders, network engineers, analysts, forensic engineers and network administrators who want to extend their knowledge from the surface to the deep levels of understanding the science behind network protocols, critical indicators in an incident and conducting a forensic search over the wire.
Chapter 1: Introducing Network Forensics
Chapter 2: Technical Concepts and Acquiring Evidence
Section 2: The Key Concepts
Chapter 3: Deep Packet Inspection
Chapter 4: Statistical Flow Analysis
Chapter 5: Combatting Tunneling and Encryption
Section 3: Conducting Network Forensics
Chapter 6: Investigating Good, Known, and Ugly Malware
Chapter 7: Investigating C2 Servers
Chapter 8: Investigating and Analyzing Logs
Chapter 9: WLAN Forensics
Chapter 10: Automated Evidence Aggregation and Analysis