- eBook:Drupal 8 Module Development: Build modules and themes using the latest version of Drupal 8, 2nd Edition
- Author:Daniel Sipos, Dries Buytaert
- Data:March 28, 2019
- Pages:580 pages
- Format:PDF, ePUB
- Explore a plethora of Drupal 8 APIs and get the best out of them using the power of PHP coding
- Learn to implement efficient data management and data security by creating dedicated modules for it.
- Stay up to date with the changes introduced in the new Drupal 8 releases
Book DescriptionDrupal 8 comes with a release cycle that allows for new functionality to be added at a much faster pace. However, this also means code deprecations and changing architecture that you need to stay on top of. This book updates the first edition and includes the new functionality introduced in versions up to, and including 8.7.
The book will first introduce you to the Drupal 8 architecture and its subsystems before diving into creating your first module with basic functionality. You will work with the Drupal logging and mailing systems, learn how to output data using the theme layer and work with menus and links programmatically. Then, you will learn how to work with different kinds of data storages, create custom entities, field types and leverage the Database API for lower level database queries.
You will further see how to introduce jаvascript into your module, work with the various file systems and ensure the code you write works on multilingual sites. Finally, you will learn how to programmatically work with Views, write automated tests for your functionality and also write secure code in general.
By the end, you will have learned how to develop your own custom module that can provide complex business solutions. And who knows, maybe you'll even contribute it back to the Drupal community.
Foreword by Dries Buytaert, founder of Drupal.
What you will learn
- Develop Drupal 8 modules that do all the things you want
- Master numerous Drupal 8 sub-systems and APIs in the process
- Model, store, manipulate and process data to serve your purposes
- Display data and content in a clean and secure way using the Drupal 8 theme system
- Test your business logic to prevent regressions
- Stay ahead of the curve and write code following the current best practices
Who this book is forThe primary target of this book is Drupal developers who want to learn how to write modules and develop in Drupal 8. It is also intended for Drupal site builders and PHP developers who have basic Object Oriented Programming skills.
A little bit of Symfony experience is helpful but not mandatory.
Chapter 2: Creating Your First Module
Chapter 3: Logging and Mailing
Chapter 4: Theming
Chapter 5: Menus and Menu Links
Chapter 6: Data Modeling and Storage
Chapter 7: Your Own Custom Entity and Plugin Types
Chapter 8: The Database API
Chapter 9: Custom Fields
Chapter 10: Access Control
Chapter 11: Caching
Chapter 12: jаvascript and the Ajax API
Chapter 13: Internationalization and Languages
Chapter 14: Batches, Queues, and Cron
Chapter 15: Views
Chapter 16: Working with Files and Images
Chapter 17: Automated Testing
Chapter 18: Drupal 8 Security