- eBook:Managing Technical Debt: Reducing Friction in Software Development
- Author:Philippe Kruchten, Robert Nord, Ipek Ozkaya
- Edition:1 edition
- Data:April 28, 2019
- Pages:272 pages
- Format:PDF, ePUB
As software systems mature, earlier design or code decisions made in the context of budget or schedule constraints increasingly impede evolution and innovation. This phenomenon is called technical debt, and practical solutions exist. In Managing Technical Debt, three leading experts introduce integrated, empirically developed principles and practices that any software professional can use to gain control of technical debt in any software system.
Using real-life examples, the authors explain the forms of technical debt that afflict software-intensive systems, their root causes, and their impacts. They introduce proven approaches for identifying and assessing specific sources of technical debt, limiting new debt, and “paying off” debt over time. They describe how to establish managing technical debt as a core software engineering practice in your organization.
- Discover how technical debt damages manageability, quality, productivity, and morale–and what you can do about it
- Clarify root causes of debt, including the linked roles of business goals, source code, architecture, testing, and infrastructure
- Identify technical debt items, and analyze their costs so you can prioritize action
- Choose the right solution for each technical debt item: eliminate, reduce, or mitigate
- Integrate software engineering practices that minimize new debt
Chapter 1: Friction in Software Development
Chapter 2: What Is Technical Debt?
Chapter 3: Moons of Saturn—The Crucial Role of Context
Part II: Analyzing Technical Debt
Chapter 4: Recognizing Technical Debt
Chapter 5: Technical Debt and the Source Code
Chapter 6: Technical Debt and Architecture
Chapter 7: Technical Debt and Production
Part III: Deciding What Technical Debt to Fix
Chapter 8: Costing the Technical Debt
Chapter 9: Servicing the Technical Debt
Part IV: Managing Technical Debt Tactically and Strategically
Chapter 10: What Causes Technical Debt?
Chapter 11: Technical Debt Credit Check
Chapter 12: Avoiding Unintentional Debt
Chapter 13: Living with Your Technical Debt