New to this edition is a step-by-step tutorial for building a 2D infinite runner game from the framework and scripts included in the book. The book contains a flexible and reusable framework in C# suitable for all game types. From game state handling to audio mixers to asynchronous scene loading, the focus of this book is building a reusable structure to take care of many of the most used systems.
Improve your game's sound in a dedicated audio chapter covering topics such as audio mixers, fading, and audio ducking effects, or dissect a fully featured racing game with car physics, lap counting, artificial intelligence steering behaviors, and game management. Use this book to guide your way through all the required code and framework to build a multi-level arena blaster game.
- Focuses on programming, structure, and an industry-level, C#-based framework
- Extensive breakdowns of all the important classes
- Example projects illustrate and break down common and important Unity C# programming concepts, such as coroutines, singletons, static variables, inheritance, and scriptable objects.
- Three fully playable example games with source code: a 2D infinite runner, an arena blaster, and an isometric racing game
- The script library includes a base Game Manager, timed and proximity spawning, save profile manager, weapons control, artificial intelligence controllers (path following, target chasing and line-of-sight patrolling behaviors), user interface Canvas management and fading, car physics controllers, and more.
In his game career spanning more than 20 years, Jeff W. Murray has worked with some of the world's largest brands as a Game Designer, Programmer, and Director. A Unity user for over 14 years, he now works as a consultant and freelancer between developing his own VR games and experiments with Unity.
2. Making a 2D Infinite Runner Game
3. Building the Core Game Framework
4. Player Structure
5. Recipes: Common Components
6. Player Movement Controllers
7. Weapon Systems
8. Waypoints Manager
9. Recipe: Sound and Audio
10. AI Manager
11. Menus and User Interface
12. Saving and Loading Profiles
13. Loading Level Scenes
14. Racing Game
15. Blaster Game Example