- eBook:Keep Calm and Log On: Your Handbook for Surviving the Digital Revolution
- Author:Gillian "Gus" Andrews
- Data:April 28, 2020
- Pages:368 pages
Feeling overwhelmed by an avalanche of online content? Anxious about identity theft? Unsettled by the proliferation of fake news? Welcome to the digital revolution. Wait—wasn't the digital revolution supposed to make our lives better? It was going to be fun and put the world at our fingertips. What happened? Keep Calm and Log On is a survival handbook that will help you achieve online mindfulness and overcome online helplessness—the feeling that tech is out of your control—with tips for handling cybersecurity, creepy ads, untrustworthy information, and much more.
Taking a cue from the famous World War II morale-boosting slogan (“Keep Calm and Carry On”), Gus Andrews shows us how to adapt the techniques our ancestors used to survive hard times, so we can live our best lives online. She explains why media and technology stress us out, and offers empowering tools for coping. Mindfulness practices can help us stay calm and conserve our attention purposefully. Andrews shares the secret of understanding our own opinions'' “family trees” in order to identify misleading “fake news.” She provides tools for unplugging occasionally, overcoming feelings that we are “bad at technology,” and taking charge of our security and privacy. Andrews explains how social media algorithms keep us from information we need and why “creepy ads” seem to follow us online. Most importantly, she urges us to work to rebuild the trust in our communities that the internet has broken.
1. No One Is Born “Good at Technology”
2. Look for the Helpers: A Tradition in Times of Disaster
3. Conserving a Valuable Resource: Our Attention
4. Conversation Breakdown: How the Internet Meddles in Our Relationships
II - STAYING SECURE
5. Planning Your Digital Security “Victory Garden”
6. Growing Your Digital Security “Victory Garden”
7. “They Already Know Everything . . . and There’s Nothing I Can Do”
8. Safer Relationships, Online
III - CONSERVING AND REBUILDING TRUST
9. The Roots of Trust
10. Trust and Our Opinions’ Family Trees
11. Bias? We’ve All Got It
12. In Writing We Trust? Seals, Signatures, and Testimonies
13. A Toolkit for Online Trust
IV - WHY TRUST THE SYSTEM?
14. Professions: Trust in Special Knowledge
16. The News
18. Algorithms, or Digital “Soup” Recipes
19. Beware the Profit Motive
20. Going Forward . . .
Download Keep Calm and Log On: Your Handbook for Surviving the Digital Revolution PDF or ePUB format free