- eBook:High Performance SQL Server: Consistent Response for Mission-Critical Applications
- Author:Benjamin Nevarez
- Edition:2 edition
- Data:February 7, 2021
- Pages:419 pages
- Format:PDF, ePUB
This book shows you how to configure SQL Server and design your databases to support a given instance and workload. You will learn advanced configuration options, in-memory technologies, storage and disk configuration, and more, all aimed toward enabling your desired application performance and throughput.
Configuration doesn’t stop with implementation. Workloads change over time, and other impediments can arise to thwart desired performance. High Performance SQL Server covers monitoring and troubleshooting to aid you in detecting and fixing production performance problems and minimizing application outages. You will learn about a variety of tools, ranging from the traditional wait analysis methodology to the query store or indexing, and you will learn how improving performance is an iterative process.
This book is an excellent complement to query performance tuning books and provides the other half of what you need to know by focusing on configuring the instances on which mission-critical queries are executed.
What You Will Learn
- Understand SQL Server's database engine and how it processes queries
- Configure instances in support of high-throughput applications
- Provide consistent response times to varying user numbers and query volumes
- Design databases for high-throughput applications with focus on performance
- Record performance baselines and monitor SQL Server instances against them
- Troubleshot and fix performance problems
SQL Server database administrators, developers, and data architects. The book is also of use to system administrators who are managing and are responsible for the physical servers on which SQL Server instances are run.
Chapter 1: How SQL Server Works
Chapter 2: SQL Server on Linux
Part II: Design and Configuration
Chapter 3: SQL Server Configuration
Chapter 4: tempdb Troubleshooting and Configuration
Part III: Monitoring
Chapter 5: Analyzing Wait Statistics
Chapter 6: The Query Store
Part IV: Performance Tuning and Troubleshooting
Chapter 7: SQL Server In-Memory Technologies
Chapter 8: Performance Troubleshooting
Chapter 9: Indexing
Chapter 10: Intelligent Query Processing
Chapter 11: SQL Server Storage