- eBook:Pattern Language for Game Design
- Author:Christopher Barney
- Edition:1 edition
- Data:December 9, 2020
- Pages:502 pages
- Background on the architectural concepts of patterns and a Pattern Language as defined in the work of Christopher Alexander, including his later work on the Fifteen Properties of Wholeness and Generative Codes.
- Analysis of other uses of Alexander’s work in computer science and game design, and the limitations of those efforts.
- A comprehensive set of example exercises to help the reader develop their own patterns that can be used in practical day-to-day game design tasks.
- Exercises that are useful to designers at all levels of experience and can be completed in any order, allowing students to select exercises that match their coursework and allowing professionals to select exercises that address their real-world challenges.
- Discussion of common pitfalls and difficulties with the pattern derivation process.
- A guide for game design teachers, studio leaders, and university departments for curating and maintaining institutional Pattern Languages.
- An Interactive Pattern Language website where you can share patterns with developers throughout the world (patternlanguageforgamedesign.com).
- Comprehensive games reference for all games discussed in this book.
CHAPTER 1. Introduction
SECTION II - Background
CHAPTER 2. Background on A Pattern Language by Christopher Alexander
CHAPTER 3. Background on the Use of Pattern Languages in Other Fields
CHAPTER 4. Background on the Use of Patterns in Game Design
SECTION III - An Introduction to Patterns in Game Design
CHAPTER 5. An Introduction to Patterns in Game Design
CHAPTER 6. Common Problems in Proposed Patterns
SECTION IV - Pattern Exercises
CHAPTER 7. Pattern Exercises
CHAPTER 8. Basic Pattern Exercise
CHAPTER 9. Structural Pattern Exercises
CHAPTER 10. Focused Patterns
CHAPTER 11. Patterns That Break the Mold
SECTION V - The Fifteen Properties
CHAPTER 12. Taking a Step Back: What We Have Learned So Far
CHAPTER 13. The “Fifteen Fundamental Properties of Wholeness” in Game Design
SECTION VI - Advanced Pattern-Generation Exercises
CHAPTER 14. Advanced Pattern-Generation Exercises
SECTION VII - Building a Language
CHAPTER 15. Connecting Patterns into a Language
CHAPTER 16. Organizing and Maintaining a Pattern Language
CHAPTER 17. Creating New Pattern Exercises
CHAPTER 18. Designing with a Pattern Language
CHAPTER 19. Teaching Yourself or Students with Pattern Languages
Download Pattern Language for Game Design PDF or ePUB format free