Xamarin Mobile Application Development for Android
Computers & Technology
ISBN: 1783559160 Format: PDF Edition: - Date: January 14, 2014 Pages: 168 pages Language: English
Learn to develop full featured Android apps using your existing C# skills with Xamarin.Android
About This Book
- Gain an understanding of both the Android and Xamarin platforms
- Build a working multi-view Android app incrementally throughout the book
- Work with device capabilities such as location sensors and the camera
Who This Book Is ForIf you are a C# developer with a desire to develop Android apps and want to enhance your existing skill set, then this book is for you. It is assumed that you have a good working knowledge of C#, .NET, and object-oriented software development. Familiarity with rich client technologies such as WPF or Silverlight is also helpful, but not required.
What You Will Learn
- Build a multi-view Android application with navigation
- Utilize the ActionBar for app actions
- Create a simple JSON-based persistent service to save data locally on the device
- Lay out content using the LinearLayout, RelativeLayout, and TableLayout layout managers
- Use a ListView (AdapterView) and Adapter to build a view that is populated by dynamic data
- Capture the current location of a device and determine the street address
- Integrate with the map app to display a point of interest
- Capture and save a photo
- Test, debug, and deploy an Android app
In DetailTechnology trends come and go, but few have generated the excitement, momentum, or long-term impact that mobile computing has. Mobile computing impacts people's lives at work and at home on a daily basis. Many companies and individual developers are looking to become a part of the movement but are unsure how to best utilize their existing skills and assets. The Xamarin suite of products provides new opportunities to those who already have a significant investment in C# development skills and .NET code bases, and would like to enter into this new, exciting world.
This example-oriented guide provides a practical approach to quickly learning the fundamentals of Android app development using C# and Xamarin.Android. It will lead the readers through building an Android app step-by-step with steadily increasing complexity.
This book begins with an overview of the Android and Xamarin platforms to provide you with a solid understanding of the environment you will be working in. You will then be gradually walked through building and testing an Android app using C# and the Xamarin.Android product. You will learn the basics of interacting with some of the more interesting aspects of Android devices including location services, the camera, and maps. You will also be given the opportunity to work with three different layout managers to gain an understanding of the various options available for arranging controls and content. The book ends with a discussion on the final steps involved in preparing apps for deployment to the various Android app stores.
In a relatively short period of time, developers familiar with C# and rich client technologies such as WPF and Silverlight will be effectively developing, testing, and delivering Android apps.